The Caretaker's Concern can be blamed on Wreck-Loose Island Publishing.
Send all complaints to:
WLIPublishing P.O. Box 1521 Bolton Landing, N.Y. 12814

WreckLooseIsland@yahoo.com

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Caretaker's Concern for 8/25/2010

TCC for 8/25/10:

No new photos for today, instead the Caretaker has decided to repost some of his favorite photos of trees, they're all reflection shots, these are images he is really looking forward to seeing printed and on a wall.






Nothing too exciting happened yesterday, the Caretaker got caught up on a bunch of long over due e-mails, went to the mainland to take care of some errands for himself, the Island, and the town library. Speaking of the library the Caretaker was doing some billing to the Library when he came across a somewhat amusing billing statement for the Library from back in June. For those who don't know the Caretaker also works for the town library, only there he's called the "handyman", the work there is quite intermittent and can even sometimes be rather inconvenient but the Caretaker is a big believer in public libraries and the service they render our communities so he tries to support them when he can. Anyway, after the Caretaker has generated the billing information for the monthly library board meeting, he often times shares some of his experiences while working for the library, this is attached as a post script to the e-mail that gets sent to the board. He figures that the board meetings can be a bit dull at times so a little light entertainment helps to keep things rolling. Entertaining may be a bit of an overstatement but here's an example for you to decide for yourself (the opening statement is in reference to a comment on the post script from the month prior).

And now for the post script: I do agree that it is never good when one is the only person who can hear the band, however, it is not me, people for some reason have a tendency to say rather odd things to me, at least they seem odd to my way of thinking.

Another case in point:
Today, working on the tables at Mary's home (the Librarian), there was a large turtle, one and half feet or so from nose to tail, about a foot wide, sitting idle in Mary's driveway. Not knowing where it intended to go I left it alone and commenced work on the the folding tables. Not long after, a woman in an SUV stopped and told me she moved the turtle from the street to Mary's driveway, the woman then said, "I think it might try and eat Mary." I pretended this was funny and conjured a laugh to be polite and then stated that we'll just have to wait and see. The turtle still hadn't moved so I went back to working on the tables.

A little while later a man with a German accent stopped in his car and said something to me in English with a German accent, I didn't understand what he said. I asked him to repeat himself.
"Is that your pet turtle?"
I looked over to where the turtle was, it wasn't there, it had crawled out into the street. My thought was, "pet turtle? Sure, I always let it play in the street, turtles are notorious for doing well at street games and avoiding traffic." I shared none of these thoughts, rather I just said that it wasn't mine, it was wild.
Then a woman coming from the other direction stopped her car and got out and asked me if it was okay if she moved the turtle.

When did this turtle become my responsibility?

I simply said, "be my guest." She then mentioned her concern about it being a snapping turtle, I assured her that it wasn't a snapping turtle by describing what a snapping turtle's snout looks like, this was not a snapping turtle but I still told her to be careful.

Thus ends the turtle incident. Note: the Librarian's name has been changed to protect her innocence.

Before there was the blog the Caretaker sent out posts via e-mail, the following is from the Caretaker's second winter on the Island:

Island Ice Report for 4/25/07:
No report for today, just following two photos.

The above photo is of one of the stucco walls of the main house, the color of the wall is yellow, the rest of the coloring is from lichen or something. The house has since been repainted and this no longer exists.



--The Caretaker

No comments: