The Caretaker's Concern can be blamed on Wreck-Loose Island Publishing.
Send all complaints to:
WLIPublishing P.O. Box 1521 Bolton Landing, N.Y. 12814

WreckLooseIsland@yahoo.com

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

TCC for 2/11/09

TCC for 2/11/09

Posting of the Caretaker’s Journal entries from 2003 began on the 2nd of February 2009, if you’ve missed the earlier posts click on “TCC for Feb 02” on the left in the “Blog Archive” and begin reading from there.

Unfortunately the Caretaker is currently having some trouble uploading photos, not that he took any today, and there really isn't much to report, so instead the Caretaker has decided to dig out his journal from when he first started working again at the Island. His first stint was during the mid-nineties, then he returned for the Summer of 2003, the text that follows has been edited only for spelling, it is basically a verbatim transcription from his journal (thus unedited except for coherency), this tenth entry is from his tenth day back at the Island. It is as follows:

June 3nd, 2003, Sunday

Woke up and was out of bed before the sun so I decided to watch it rise. I don’t often watch the sunrise in the summer, that’s more of a winter thing, but I was up so I figured why not? Brought my laundry to town and washed it. I then brought it back to the Island to hang on a clothes line to dry. (While living in Amsterdam, Netherlands the Caretaker had a conversation about line drying laundry with a Scottish woman who commented that it was worth the effort because it made the clothes smell nice. When the Caretaker returned to the Island he made a point to test her theory, she’s right, it is worth the effort. If you’ve ever been to Lake George and think it generally smells nice then you should line dry your laundry there if you get the chance, especially on a nice sunny windy day. Whenever the Caretaker has the time and weather permits he always line dries his laundry on the Island, it is certainly more work but well worth the effort. –Caretaker’s comment 2/11/09)

After I put the laundry on the line I left for the big city to take care of some errands that I wasn’t able to do the last time or forgot to do. On the way to Glens Falls I decided to take Route 9 through Lake George Village, it being Americade and all I figured why not see what the stick twisters were up to, pretty much the same old thing: twisting sticks and making a lot of noise or talking about twisting sticks, and making a lot of noise, some probably even offered to let others twist their sticks, and make a lot of noise. (Americade is a large motorcycle rally that occurs every summer in Lake George Village, it’s about a week long, brings in lot’s of tourist dollars and a ton of noise. –Caretakers comment 2/11/09)

I accomplished most of what I wanted to in the big city, there are a few things left to do and I will get to them in due time. However, it looks like I may have to go to the metropolis, Saratoga, to accomplish some things but that will be at a later date.

I returned to the Island, put things away and then began to make dinner. After dinner I took down my laundry. While taking it down the Lac du Saint Sacrement passed by the Island, I noticed on the starboard side of the bow of the ship there was a banner of a motorcycle company, this company makes many other things besides motorcycles, any way, when I saw the banner with the logo I knew what that meant, it was a boat load of stick twisters. (The Lac du Saint Sacrement is a large tour boat for hire that plys the waters of Lake George. –Caretaker’s comment 2/11/09)

Before starting the dishes I went down to cocktail point with some white grapes to take in the view for a while, I walked right out to where the grass meets the rocky shore with a chair and sat down. Just as I did so I looked to the right and about eight feet away from me was some sort of water fowl, gray top, beak like a gull, the gray feathers were fluffy. Perhaps it was a gull with a rather large body? It was feeding under water. It would stick its entire head underwater and root around for a while then come up for air. It followed the shoreline around from the East side to the West side, quite close to shore paying no mind to me. It was as if it didn’t notice me, nor care to notice me.

The debate over loons is still on, I think what I’ve heard so far has actually been a gull, who knows?

Saw the moon for the first time this year from the Island. It was in the Western half of the sky so will set before the evening is through. About an 8th of it or so was reflecting towards me.

Oh yes, while taking in the laundry I noticed the Island has its own thunder hole on the South shore. It really sounds more like a sink draining but “sink rock” does not sound so good so I shall instead name it “gurgling rock” or perhaps “babbling stone”. Either way I’ll be sure to listen to it again and see what comes to me. The rock is a large one, but the ice will mostly likely move it next year and so it may not “talk” like it does now when the water of the lake flows in and out of it.

End Journal Entry for 6/2/2003
Coming tomorrow the Caretaker’s journal entry for 6/6/2003.

No comments: