The Caretaker's Concern can be blamed on Wreck-Loose Island Publishing.
Send all complaints to:
WLIPublishing P.O. Box 1521 Bolton Landing, N.Y. 12814

WreckLooseIsland@yahoo.com

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

TCC for 2/3/09

TCC for 2/3/09

Unfortunately the Caretaker is currently having some trouble uploading photos, not that he took any today, and there really isn't much to report, so, instead the Caretaker has decided to dig out his journal from when he first started working again at the Island. His first stint was during the mid-nineties, then he returned for the Summer of 2003, the text that follows has been edited only for spelling, it is basically a verbatim transcription from his journal (thus unedited except for coherency), this second entry is from his second day back at the Island. It is as follows:

May 26th, 2003, Monday

Today was pretty good, I didn’t do any work for the Island—more of the same from yesterday. Worked more on getting myself situated here. If all goes well I will be able to move into the Ghetto tomorrow, I had to fumigate the place. While in town shopping for supplies at the hardware store R’s son-in-law, G, told me that the lake ice pile up on to the North East corner of the island to over forty feet high. I hope to meet someone with pictures of it.

The ice took out the power line to the island this Winter. There is currently no power and won’t be expecting any for at least another two weeks. The lack of power is not proving to make things too difficult. Gas lantern and gas stove are working nicely. Tomorrow I will try baking corn bread in my camp stove oven. I hope it will work. The lack of refrigeration is not really a problem, it is still rather cool here at this time of year, but if the power is not returned in the next few weeks I am going to have make some changes in my diet. Knowing that there is no power here I purchased a sun shower, it works quite nicely, filling it with water is not exactly convenient, but I’m sure I’ll figure out a way soon.

I went canoeing to Huddle Bay. I first went around the South end of Clay Island, then followed the shore line of the mainland between Hiawatha island down to the Southernmost end of Huddle Bay. Saw various birds, for example those Black birds with the orange feathers near where their wings meet their body. I also caught a glimpse of a muskrat twice. Both glimpses were very brief, maybe it was some other type of swimming varmint. I also lucked out on seeing a rather large snapping turtle. As I was paddling in rather shallow water I turned to my left and there was its shell sticking partially out of the water. From snout to tale it was about 3 feet long. I was able to look at it for a few minutes before it finally got tired of my staring. I was quite impressed with its size. It looked as though if it was given the chance it would be able to bite my hand off at the wrist having no problem fitting my wrist in its mouth. So as can be imagined I was a little cautious with it. I’m sure it’s not likely that it would have tried to come into the canoe, but I certainly didn’t want to provoke it. Given its size I’m sure it could have done quite the damage to my paddle if I tried poking it.

For my return I went around the North side of Hiawatha and Clay islands then returned to the Island.

Tomorrow I shall finish up getting situated here and begin working on the Island.

End journal entry for 5/26/2003

No comments: