The Caretaker's Concern can be blamed on Wreck-Loose Island Publishing.
Send all complaints to:
WLIPublishing P.O. Box 1521 Bolton Landing, N.Y. 12814

WreckLooseIsland@yahoo.com

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Caretaker's Concern for 7/29/2010

TCC for 7/29/10:

No photos, no report, only old stuff from 2007.

Before there was the blog the Caretaker sent out posts via e-mail, the following is from the Caretaker's second winter on the Island:

Island Ice Report for 3/27/07:

Outside temp: 50ish
Ghetto temp: 65 F
Wind: none
Sky: partly cloudy
Precipitation: none

If no one has any objections I am going to dispense with the above weather information from here on. I will provide a general statement about the weather when needed, but conditions have now become mild enough that the weather isn't all that much of a factor.
Yesterday was a recovery day from a visit by my friend M. who rolled in the night before, we had a liquid dinner in town at the Lake Side Lodge. Our trip back to the Island over on the ice was rather uneventful, well, except that apparently I would continually try to melt the ice with all my hot air, some might call it falling down but I call it pushing for Spring the hard way.
This morning the fog was thick enough to limit visibility to about 15 to 20 feet. Sloop Island was just barely visible from the Island. Having been out in conditions like this before while in a boat I knew that the best thing to do was wait until the fog lifts, once you get out into it you lose your frame of reference and have no idea where you are. While out in the boat I wasn't driving around aimlessly for too long, my intuition eventually brought me to the North end of Dome Island, from there I was able to figure out that I needed to go due West to return to the Island. However, if I hadn't lucked out like that I would have eventually had to shut down the boat and wait for the fog to lift. While doing some work on the south end of the Island I heard an ice fisherman shuffling around on the ice, from the sound of his movement he had no idea where he was going. Not too long after another ice fisherman came driving around on a 4 wheeler, he wasn't doing much better than his friend but did seem to have a better idea of where he was and where he was going. Eventually the two met up and the one on foot said, "do you know where you are, 'cause I have no idea." Upon hearing that I gave them a hello but received no response, I can only assume that they were not too concerned with their location. Eventually I heard them start up their ice auger so I figured they were fine, the fog lasted for a number of hours eventually lifting after midday, other than that not too much excitement on the ice. The ice is starting to thin out and so with the water opening up the opportunity for some great photography is increasing, I'm sure you'll agree after seeing some of today's photos. Or not, may be you'll think they're junk, to each their own, but as far as the Caretaker is concerned, ice-out is what much of this entire adventure is about, granted I could have lived off Island for the Winter and just come back for ice-out, but what fun would that have been? 6 months of no running water--you just can't get that at even the finest resorts.





--The Caretaker

No comments: