The Caretaker's Concern can be blamed on Wreck-Loose Island Publishing.
Send all complaints to:
WLIPublishing P.O. Box 1521 Bolton Landing, N.Y. 12814

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Caretaker's Concern for 4/13/2010

TCC for 4/13/2010

Recent photos from the archive.



Before there was the blog the Caretaker sent out posts via e-mail, the following is from the Caretaker's second winter on the Island:


Outside temp: 22 F
Ghetto temp: 63 F
Wind: None
Sky: Cloud covered with some haze due to higher humidity.
Precipitation: None.

The Caretaker went for a skate this morning, Tried to make it over to Log bay but a recent pressure crack blocked the way. While skating over on the South East side of Dome Island a Bald Eagle was spotted in flight, the Caretaker probably disturbed it from its resting place on Dome. The Eagle was flying rather leisurely, the Caretaker tried keeping up with it, but the pressure crack got in the way.
It was a busy a day on the Lake yesterday, more Ice fishermen, there were about 5 or 6 Ice boats sailing around, and then in early afternoon a small yellow plane with Ice skis landed on the Lake over by Bixby Beach Road, the plane only stayed for about 5 minutes or so and then took off. In the afternoon a number of the Ice boaters were seen out of their boats, quite far off but it may have been because one of them flipped over. Ice boats can slide-slip the wind and get up to five times the speed of it, thus it doesn't take a whole lot of wind to get them going very, very fast. No word on what the case may be but hopefully there was not an accident, perhaps they just decided to stop and socialize.

I would like to first apologize to all of you who did not receive yesterday's photos in the first go around. I have discovered the cause and can now assure you that you will get the photos with the e-mails from this point forth. Thanks to those of you who let me know about the problem.
I would also like to say thanks for all the positive feed back. I hope you will continue to be pleased with the e-mails.

In other news, last night I may have had my very first Grandma experience. Was it really? I don't know for sure, but I will relate to you what happened and you can decide for yourselves. Before I go into "Ghost in the Microwave" I should probably give a little back story to those who don't know about the "Ghost(s)".
I'll keep it short. Over the years there have been a number of ghost sightings, experiences, etc. here on the Island. In my opinion there is one story regarding Grandma that has the most credibility, for me personally I believe that when it comes to ghosts anything is possible, but will have to see it to believe it. I have been on Recluse Island for a little less than two years straight, prior to that I have been here for about a total of 8 summers or so (most of my time has been with no one else here) and have seen nothing of a ghost, that is until now--maybe. (Well, technically there was a minor incident with a light in the Upper Spider Room last winter, but that can't really be confirmed because I was present for the entire "incident".)

Last night at around 5 p.m. I took dinner. A few days ago I made some potato soup from scratch, separated it into containers and then left it out on the kitchen counter. I only maintain heat in there while I am in there so the soup froze. I put the soup in the microwave to defrost it. It was really quite frozen, frozen solid. I think the microwave ran for a total of 10 minutes or so. In the end the soup went beyond defrosting and became fully reheated. So I took the soup out and finished preparing a salad. Once my meal was ready I sat down to eat it. While in the kitchen I run a heater that has a fan that makes some noise, not too much but it is certainly noticeable. So the heater and its fan are going, I'm eating my dinner when I notice an odd sound as if it is coming from the heater fan, a change in pitch of some sort that was coming and going. The fan would sound normal, then it wouldn't, then it would, then it wouldn't--you get the idea. When it first happened I didn't think anything of it. Then it happened again, I inspected the heater a bit, brought my ear closer to it, but couldn't tell what was up. It happened again, I turned off the radio and listened in. At this point I noticed that the sound I was hearing had nothing to do with the heater--it was the microwave! I walked over to the microwave and saw that it was running, meanwhile the digital timer on it read "0" which is what it shows when it is off and not doing anything. It didn't take me long to push the off button, now that I think about it I can't recall if my pushing the off button turned it off, regardless if it would not shut off from my pushing "off" well actually "cancel", anyway, after pushing "cancel" I pulled the plug on the microwave. As far as I know it has not started operating again on its own since. My personal rule on electric appliances that operate on their own when not supposed to is to unplug them, ghost or no ghost who needs the Ghost in the Machine burning down the house? When will I plug the microwave back in? The next time I need it. Not because I'm "fearful" of Grandma, but because I need the electricity for other things and not running an empty Microwave that seems to now want to run at it's leisure. Now, if I go in there and the Microwave is running while it is unplugged--I'm out of here. Grandma (or whoever else it may be) can have the place all to themselves. Then again, if Grandma wants to run the vacuum she can do so all day and night if she drives it all over the house.
So, what caused the microwave to run on its own? It could be Grandma. Or it could be something else. At this point in time I am inclined to think it was something else, what it is I will share in my next e-mail.



--The Caretaker

No comments: