The Caretaker's Concern can be blamed on Wreck-Loose Island Publishing.
Send all complaints to:
WLIPublishing P.O. Box 1521 Bolton Landing, N.Y. 12814

WreckLooseIsland@yahoo.com

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Caretaker's Concern for 4/14/2010

TCC for 4/14/2010

Recent photos from the archive.

4/1/10:


3/31/10:

Before there was the blog the Caretaker sent out posts via e-mail, the following is from the Caretaker's second winter on the Island:

2/03/07:

Outside temp: 22 F
Ghetto temp: 65 F
Wind: S.W. 10-15 mph
Sky: Mostly Sunny with patchy clouds
Precipitation: None

Last night's snowfall put down about 3 inches of snow, which is enough to x-c ski but there are still some wet spots from pressure cracks so sticky skis were an occasional problem during this morning's ski. The moonlight ski in the snow storm was a good time for all those involve. Occasional water spots aside, it was a good ski this morning around Dome Island and then to Huddle Bay for a bit. Hopefully more snow will come so the Caretaker can hit the trails on the East shore. The average ice thickness seems to be about 5 inches, hopefully the ice will continue to thicken. Last measurement was off the south end of Dome Island. The Caretaker has found it easier to ask an ice fisherman than to drill holes himself, how good is the word of an ice fisherman? Who cares? If you don't fall through it's thick enough.
--Jeff

P.S. I would like to thank those of you who have e-mailed me with your comments, encouragement, and questions. However, if I do not respond to your e-mail directly please do not take it personally, my connection is terribly slow. For those of you who have been on either end of a phone call from the Island you know how "great" the connection is to begin with, add to that dial-up internet and you get slooooooow page load times. As much as I'd like to be able to respond to all of your e-mails personally all the time, if I were to do so, I wouldn't have the time to get outside and take a picture let alone anything else. So, please know that I do read all your responses and will make a point to either respond to them in the daily update or directly when I can. Also, should you need to contact me via the phone and the land line is busy, it is probably because I am on-line wrestling with the "speedy" connection (one good thing about it, zero incentive to waste time surfing the net), so if the house line is busy try my cell phone.

Should you want to come out to the island to enjoy the many pleasures of Lake George in winter, I would highly recommend that you call first for conditions, and most important, always stay well away from the open water caused by the ice eaters on the south dock and boathouse. Best point of access is Cocktail point.

I was asked about pressure cracks. Pressure cracks result from the shifting of the ice. The Lake will rise and lower depending on how much water comes in and how much goes out thus the water beneath the ice can rise and fall and so too the ice, when the ice moves it can come together in places and separate in others. When it comes together the ice will rise up. The rise can be just a bump or a few feet hight. I have seen 6 feet, I'm sure it can go higher. Pressure cracks will often allow water through, given time this water will freeze and the crack is perfectly safe to travel over. Pressure cracks beneath snow are the troublesome ones, if you don't know it's there you can get into a bit of trouble from wet skis or boots to going through the ice. Caretaker's advice is to travel with at least one ski pole to check dodgy spots.

There were quite a number of explanations for the Microwave, I can't mention all of them here but I will make mention of those that seem to cover the spectrum.
The most common was too much Bourbon or too many gin rickys.
"Island Mind-Rot" was also mentioned, the cure was more Bourbon.
For the record, it has been some three weeks since I have had a drink, so perhaps more is what is need. Although, I did take some bitters with my soda water at dinner, but I doubt that is the cause.
As to interpreting "signs" Eddie Murphy's commentary regarding "Poltergeist" was shared, but I'll keep this G-rated--even though this whole thing has the greatest potential for becoming a horror show.
It was also suggested that I see this as a sign of my new career as either a Pro or Amateur Wrestler (are any of them really Pro's?) and my stage name will be "The Caretaker" and my signature move will be called "the Grandma" I'm still working out the particulars of the move and my costume, once it all comes together I will be sure to let you all know when I will be on Monday Night Raw (or whatever the latest incarnation of television wrestling on t.v. is called).
Another person was kind enough to point out that as long as Grandma is not leaving lucky pennies in the microwave and running it I have nothing to worry about. This I should say is certainly true. Side note: Grandma is known to leave pennies around.
Lastly it was suggested that I see this as signs of goodwill from spirits on the other side.
All of the above, and everything in between may be true. However, I lean on the side of this one suggestion, it may just be a malfunctioning microwave. This is true, but why? Any of the above might be the cause but as for now I am inclined to think that it was due to the microwave operating in sub-freezing temperatures for a lengthy amount of time which is something it was not designed to do. Should there be any other developments in the Ghost in the Microwave I will be sure to pass them on. In the meantime I have broken out the ouija board and I am trying to channel Grandma or any other willing ghosts to "spook me out" by running the vacuum cleaner and annoy me to no end by running it all over the house day and night. Now that is a haunting I'm sure we'd all want.

--Jeff

2/3/2007:


--The Caretaker

No comments: