The Caretaker's Concern can be blamed on Wreck-Loose Island Publishing.
Send all complaints to:
WLIPublishing P.O. Box 1521 Bolton Landing, N.Y. 12814

WreckLooseIsland@yahoo.com

Monday, August 2, 2010

The Caretaker's Concern for 8/2/2010

TCC for 8/2/10:

No new photos for today. The sunrises and sunsets of late have been rather unremarkable. The Caretaker is thinking that he will spend part of this day sailing.

Before there was the blog the Caretaker sent out posts via e-mail, the following is from the Caretaker's second winter on the Island:

Island Ice Report for 3/31//07:

Lake Temperature: 35 F

Today's two photos are a variation on a theme (i.e. same shot, different exposure style).

The Caretaker went to town around midmorning. He needed to get to the post office before it closed and to pick up some film, he wanted to make sure he had enough film for when he is Island bound during ice-out. While out on the ice he noticed a number of crows walking about on the ice, amongst the crows he also saw a rather large bird, it stood about 2 feet high. The assumption was that it was an Eagle, so he skied towards it. The Caretaker wasn't able to get all that close to the bird before it took to the air, rather large wingspan, but not a Bald Eagle, the Caretaker's guess is that it was a Golden Eagle. (Odd thing about the name Bald Eagle, they're not bald, they're white at the head. According to the logic of this nomenclature, I, being a "white" person should be called a "bald person", and in a few years, I'll be called a balding bald person.) So after the Eagle flew away I continued on to the shore. After taking care of my errands I decided I was in the mood for a lollipop. I hadn't had a lollipop since I don't know when, and so since I didn't have any lollipops on the Island I figured it would be best to pick one up in town. However, here was the problem, in this day and age of more is better you can't just buy one lollipop, they are only sold by the bag these days, at least in this neck of the woods (well, you can buy a single lollipop, but following suit with "more is better" the only single lollipop to be bought is about the size of a large egg which to me is ridiculous--far too much lollipop). So in the end, instead of just going without a lollipop I decided to buy a bag of them. I had my lollipop and was quite satisfied as far lollipops go, but now the question is what do I do with the rest of the lollipops? I certainly have no need for them, I only wanted one. I could just throw them away, but that would be such a waste. After a few moments thought, I decided I should give them away to some kids, but where to find kids? Ah, the school. So I hopped in my car and headed up to the school to stand out front and hand out the candy to the children. On my way I realized that maybe this isn't such a good idea. It's Saturday, there are no kids in school. Before I turned around though I figured maybe there would be some sort of school function, basket ball game or something, so I continued on my way to the school. Then another thought occurred to me, perhaps this isn't such a good idea handing out candy to kids. Kids these days don't eat candy, they drink beer. Now this would be great if I were trying to get rid of some beer, not that I am not fully capable of doing that on my own, but I don't have any beer to get rid of. So now I was back to square one, what to do with the lollipops? I know, I'll buy some beer, something cheap, and some scotch tape and tape a lollipop to each beer and so when the kids gleefully take the beer they will also have to take a lollipop and then nothing will go to waste. So after returning to the store for some beer and tape I headed back up to the school. I saw a cop car over by what looked to me like the outside entrance to the school gym so I figured that if there was a cop there the game would probably be letting out soon and he was there to make sure the kids didn't destroy the place in celebration of their respective team's win/loss. So I pulled up near the entrance, parked my car and hopped out with the lollipops and beer, put them on the trunk of my car and began to tape the lollipops to the beer cans. I wasn't sure when the kids would be let out so I was rather rushed in the taping and so quite focused, because of this I didn't hear the cop when he first called for my attention. Once he got up close though I heard, "What are you doing?"
"Huh? Oh, there's a game letting out soon right?"
"What are you doing?"
"Oh, well you see I got all these lollipops I need to get rid of, don't want to waste them in the garbage, so I figured I'd tape them to these beers to give away to the kids."
"Are you serious?"
"Well, yeah, no sense throwing the candy away, so I figured I'd tape the lolli's to the beer as an incentive."
"You got-uh be kidding me, you want to not only hand out candy to children but beer too?"
Then a light went off in my head, "Um..."
"You didn't really think this through did you?"
"Uh..."
"Listen guy, I'm, going to do you a favor, I'm going to take your bag of "lolli's" and this beer and you're going to get the hell out of here."
"Right."
And so I took off.




The following photos of light on water were in the file folder for the report from 2007, not sure why but here they are:







--The Caretaker

No comments: